Joe as the Member of Parliament for Steveston-Richmond East since 2015
- A strong and active advocate for Richmond local issues such as: ending birth tourism; making changes to the Ports to protect the Fraser River, and bringing government funding to Richmond for infrastructure, businesses, and local organizations.
- Listens to thousands of people at the door and at multiple town hall meetings to best serve Steveston-Richmond East.
- Was a member of the House of Commons Standing Committees on Agriculture & Agri-Food and Environment and Sustainable Development.
- Served as Co-Chair of the Canada-Bulgaria Parliamentary Friendship Group, Canada-China Legislative Association, and Canada-Russia Parliamentary Friendship Group. Joe also served as a member of the Canada-Ukraine Parliamentary Friendship Group.
- Served as a Director of the: Canada-Israel, Canada-Taiwan, and Canada-Japan Inter-parliamentary Groups.
- Served as an Executive member of the: Canada-Philippines Inter-parliamentary Group, Canadian-NATO Parliamentary Association, the Canadian Branch of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association, the Canada-United States Inter-parliamentary Group, and the Canada-Korea Inter-parliamentary Group.
- Founded and chaired the Liberal Marine Port Caucus, and co-chaired the Liberal Animal Welfare Caucus.
Joe as Member of Parliament in 2000 for Richmond
Joe was first elected as the Member of Parliament for Richmond in the 2000 general election. He was appointed Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs and Privy Council, and served as Vice-Chair of the Standing Committee on Human Resources Development and as a member of several parliamentary committees.
Joe in the community
Joe is an active member of the community and has been a Richmond resident for over 20 years. Joe is a 4th Degree Knight of the Knights of Columbus in Richmond, a member of the Rotary Club of Richmond Sunset, a member of the Richmond Chamber of Commerce. He is an active parishioner of Canadian Martyrs Catholic Church. Joe is a vegan and believes in making healthy and sustainable food choices. In his personal time, Joe enjoys spending time with his family, reading, and exercising.
Joe is the former Director of Legal and Corporate Affairs at the Canadian head office for Bing Han Enterprises, a multi-national company headquartered in Taipei, Taiwan. He also practiced law in Richmond where he focused on business and immigration law.
Joe earned his Bachelor’s degree in Political Science from the University of Toronto, and his law degree from Osgoode Hall Law School. Joe is fluent in English, French and Italian.
In the past 4 years, Joe and the Liberal Government has directed over $368 million to Richmond. Some major projects have been:
- $85 million for the Hamilton Transit
- $53.9 million for public safety in Steveston, Lansdowne Road Extension Project, and Blundell Overpass Project
- $6.5 million towards affordable housing
- $6 million investment towards technology and innovation
- $5 million to preserve the historic landmarks and exhibits in Steveston
- Restoring Old Age Security payments to 65 years of age.
- $4.6 million for our children in Steveston-Richmond East through the Child Care Benefit plan
- Over 400 jobs for youth through Canada Summer Jobs